Source of funding
Name of client/donor
Rupprecht Consult - Forschung & Beratung GmbH
Overall project value
August 2008 – May 2011
Austria | Denmark | France | Germany | Poland | Spain
Number of staff
The ageing of society is one of the biggest challenges facing Europe in the decades to come. Although it receives little public attention, this demographic change has major implications for mobility patterns as well. As today's car-driving generation gradually retires, it is a major challenge to bring these active older people from the private car to sustainable and energy-efficient modes of transport. This includes walking, cycling and public transport – but also innovative schemes such as car sharing and public bicycles.
The AENEAS project encouraged a shift towards energy-efficient mobility. Through a partnership of five European cities and seven leading organisations/networks, the project aimed to:
- create a “Good Practice Exchange Ring” — a network of European cities for the promotion of energy-efficient mobility in an ageing society;
- support the implementation of promising soft measures in the AENEAS cities;
- launch wide-scale marketing campaigns for transport practitioners and older people;
- organise training workshops for transport practitioners;
- develop a toolkit for passenger and driver training;
- provide good-practice examples and produce an implementation guide; and
- raise awareness of the challenges of urban mobility and ageing.
Local activities implemented in the five project cities to promote energy-efficient mobility targeted citizens in their 50s (the “young old”), as well as the elderly, with tailored services. Measures included information campaigns; the adaptation of transport services to the needs of older people; increasing the safety and attractiveness of public transport; running guided cycling tours for older people; and training public transport passengers and drivers.
The REC supported communication activities and the dissemination of project results. The REC team designed and maintained the project website; produced brochures and factsheets in English and local languages; and created a study tour catalogue, a guide to mobility management, and manuals for public transport driver and passenger training.
- Communication and dissemination