Source of funding
Name of client/donor
Hulla&Co Human Dynamics KG, H.P. Gauff Ingenieure GmbH, KG-JBG, CES Consulting Engineers Salzgitter GmbH, the Ekologiya I Mir, Mama-86
Overall project value
February 2012 – October 2016
Armenia | Azerbaijan | Belarus | Georgia | Moldova | Ukraine
Number of staff
The EPIRB project had the global objective of improving water quality in transboundary river basins in the wider Black Sea region in order to reinforce current actions aimed at pollution reduction and water resources management.
The specific objectives of the project were to:
- improve the availability and quality of data on the ecological, chemical and hydromorphological status of transboundary river basins, including groundwater; and
- develop river basin management plans for selected river basins/sub-river basins according to the requirements of the Water Framework Directive (WFD).
The project resulted in:
- Increased capacities of national authorities for the hydrobiological, chemical and hydromorphological monitoring of water quality, including groundwater.
- The establishment of quality assurance procedures in laboratories.
- Increased technical capacities by means of developing and implementing RBMPs in selected pilot basins.
Overall project activities
- Reviewing national monitoring systems and tools for assessing data obtained from monitoring activities.
- Supporting the implementation of countries’ obligations under the Danube River Protection Convention and the Water Convention
- Developing WFD-compliant monitoring programmes, including hydrobiological and hydromorphological elements and groundwater.
- Assisting in the development of WFD-compliant tools for assessing data obtained from monitoring activities (ecological, chemical and hydromorphological classifications).
- Supporting analytical quality control and quality assurance procedures.
- Assessing needs regarding laboratory infrastructure, equipment and training.
- Developing joint river basin management plans (RBMPs) for selected river basins.
- Promoting public involvement and raising awareness.
Activities carried out by the REC
- Contributing to the achievement of project objectives.
- Leading the public involvement and awareness-raising activities.
- Awareness raising
- Supporting public participation