Source of funding
Name of client/donor
CFCU/Ministry of Finance, Turkey
Overall project value
August 2014 – August 2016
Number of staff
The project is implemented in the context of Turkey's efforts to achieve compliance with the EU's environmental acquis. It provides training and assistance to government institutions and local administrations on legal, institutional, technical and investment matters in order to improve environmental management and ensure progress in the approximation process.
The specific goal of the project is to support the Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning (MoEU) to fulfil its commitments in the EU accession process with respect to the negotiations under the environment chapter. It also aims to strengthen institutional capacity at local level to accelerate the implementation of EU legislation and to develop tools for better management by promoting the methodology for local environmental action plans (LEAPs) at local level.
The main targets are the MoEU and other ministries related with environmental approximation. Local authorities will also be targeted in order to strengthen the implementation of environmental legislation. The private sector, NGOs, academia and research institutions will also be targeted to some extent.
Activities are implemented according to three components.
Strengthening the institutional and technical capacities of the MoEU for EU accession:
- Three ex-post evaluation reports will be produced on the effectiveness of the implementation of three directives
- Three trainings will be organised on EU best practices related to selected directives
- Three workshops will be held on environmental law drafting
- Access to environmental information will be improved via the project portal
Strengthening the institutional and technical capacities of local authorities through trainings and technical assistance for the effective implementation of the EU environmental acquis and the successful planning of environmental investments through participatory processes at local level:
- Three sets of directive-specific implementation guidelines will be prepared
- Eight trainings on LEAPs will be organised
- Eight capacity-building trainings will be organised related to the local implementation of regulations
- Eight trainings will be given on financing environmental investments
Increasing ownership on the part of local authorities in relation to integrated environmental planning through capacity-building activities and strategy documents:
- A national strategy document will be prepared for the possible implementation of LEAPs
- Draft national legislation on LEAPs will be prepared
- Three workshops for local administrations will be held on strategic LEAPs
- A national conference on sustainable cities will be organised, addressing sustainability as a shared responsibility and providing an opportunity for disseminating the national strategy document
- Capacity building and training
- Report drafting
- Communication and information dissemination
- Event management