Source of funding
Name of client/donor
CASTOR ADL, Ltd
Overall project value
June 2015 – February 2017
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
The project was initiated in response to the inadequate waste management situation in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Tasks included the development of a national waste assessment and roadmap towards achieving alignment with the EU acquis. Key challenges were tackled in the fields of institution strengthening and infrastructure for waste collection, separation, recycling and recovery, as well as residual waste transportation and disposal.
The waste assessment was intended to guide the national waste management authorities, and primarily the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning, other national institutions and local self-governments, towards alternative ways to address key challenges and prioritise the most promising scenarios for the management of municipal waste. Recycling options were analysed with regard to national targets, existing producer responsibility schemes and the involvement of the informal sector.
Specific goals were to:
- identify key issues in the current approach to waste management in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, with a focus on moving towards compliance with the EU acquis;
- identify less significant issues that are nevertheless worth highlighting in the context of the review; and
- assist in the development of recommendations on how to resolve the identified issues.
The roadmap was developed following a 13-stage approach:
- Development of assessment criteria
- Gathering of baseline information and data
- Development of an overview of the waste management situation
- Assessment of the country’s performance
- Identification of issues
- Consultation on key issues
- Development of the roadmap
- Definition of the sequencing of selected measures
- Review of financing sources
- Submission of draft roadmap to the European Commission
- Consultation with ministry officials
- Discussion at a national workshop
- Finalisation of the roadmap
The detailed information on the waste management situation in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia identified in the national waste assessment was used to identify a number of core issues that were the subject of consultation with stakeholders. Recommended measures for addressing each of the issues were put forward by the project team and formed the basis for developing the draft roadmap for improving waste management
The roadmap provides a list of recommendations, with estimates of associated costs and a proposed schedule for activities. These will feed into the revisions of the National Waste Management Strategy and Plan.
- Technical assistance