Source of funding
Name of client/donor
Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation Albania
Overall project value
February 2016 – June 2017
Number of staff
In response to a request for support from Dibra, a municipality in northeastern Albania with a population of around 70,000, the Decentralisation and Local Development Programme (dldp) of HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation (a network of organisations for development cooperation and emergency response) helped the municipality to develop a technical proposal and awarded a grant to develop an integrated solid waste management plan (ISWMP) and upgrade infrastructure.
The services of REC Albania were mobilised to fully implement the project in terms of planning, technical support and awareness raising, including the use of the dldp pioneer tools on costs, tariffs and performance-based planning.
The project aimed to:
- support the municipality of Dibra to elaborate an ISWMP, which will lead local authorities to improve service delivery, extend the service coverage area and achieve cost recovery; and
- identify and capitalise on lessons learned, which will contribute to the revision and improvement of the dldp tools in the planning of waste management processes, the financial management of the sector and communication with the public.
The project provided technical assistance to prioritise the investments to be delivered using dldp grant support, as well as technical specifications for the procurement of investments. Technical assistance was also provided for the management of public service entities and the rehabilitation of waste disposal sites.
- Supporting the municipality of Dibra to design and approve a local waste management plan.
- Identifying the most feasible and affordable ways to provide waste management in poor areas.
- Developing a public awareness plan and campaign.
- Upgrading public service delivery.
- Upgrading disposal site management.
- Technical assistance
- Awareness raising
- Information dissemination