Source of funding
Name of client/donor
European Commission Liaison Office - Kosovo*
Overall project value
May 2014 – November 2015
Number of staff
As most businesses in northern Kosovan municipalities are small enterprises or family businesses, they lack managerial and technical skills, and productivity is low. In order to see economic development in Kosovo*, it is essential to improve the business environment through systematic support for growth and job creation.
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
The NORTH Development project aims to:
- increase the competitiveness of local businesses in northern Kosovo* by providing grants;
- boost sales and create new jobs by promoting regional products;
- match suppliers through business networking events and platforms;
- build the capacities of stakeholders in the public, private and non-governmental sectors to design and implement projects;
- identify development potential and elaborate regional development strategy using EU approaches and best practices;
- develop a project pipeline and at least 15 regional project concepts ready for financing and implementation; and
- improve the visibility of the EU and communication in northern Kosovo*.
Through sub-granting, training and other regional economic activities, the project will promote local producers and build capacities for development in northern Kosovo.*
Project activities include:
- distributing 20 sub-grants to businesses;
- organising five fairs and business networking events to promote local producers;
- implementing a capacity-building programme to improve development potential;
- compiling a development strategy; and
- developing project concepts to be financed by national, regional and EU support.
- Administrative support
- Capacity building
- Grants management