Source of funding
Name of client/donor
Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)
Overall project value
December 2011 – March 2015
Belarus | Moldova
Number of staff
Environmental civil society organisations (ECSOs) are important actors in the field of environmental protection and sustainable development in Belarus and Moldova. The SECTOR project for the two countries was developed as part of the framework programme “Strengthening Local Environmental Planning and Environmental Civil Society in Belarus and Moldova during 2012–2014” (STREAM), implemented by the REC with the financial support of the Government of Sweden.
The main goal of the project was to strengthen the role of ECSOs by contributing to their development and improving their knowledge, skills, capacities and infrastructure.
Specific objectives were to:
- support the organisational development of ECSOs, build their capacity to achieve long-term environmental impacts and sustainability, enable them to become self-sustaining, improve their efficiency in implementing environmental projects, and introduce organisational changes that strengthen their impact in society;
- enable ECSOs to be more actively involved in dialogue with society and decision making on environmental and sustainable development issues;
- help ECSOs to promote sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles at different levels; and
- strengthen ECSO capacities and networking, as well as ECSO interaction with governments and businesses at different levels.
The main partners and project beneficiaries were ECSOs at national and local community level in Belarus and Moldova. Secondary beneficiaries were national authorities, municipalities, businesses and, indirectly, the general public in the target countries.
The three main components of the SECTOR project were designed to support the achievement of the overall project goals. These components were:
- Organisational Development
- Capacity Building and Networking
Activities in Belarus and Moldova were carried out at local, national and regional level. Activities were closely interlinked, so as to help ECSOs to develop and become stronger. The project components supported ECSO initiatives and collaboration with authorities, communities and businesses via grants; built ECSO capacities and strengthened national, regional and international networking via trainings and exchange programmes; and raised awareness through the implementation of an educational programme designed to activate citizens.
- Organisational development
- Support to ECSOs
- Capacity building