Source of funding
Name of client/donor
Overall project value
June 2016 – December 2017
Europe and Eurasia
Number of staff
Countries throughout the world are seeking to achieve economic growth and development in ways that reduce the causes and effects of climate change, through so-called low-emission development strategies (LEDS). As part of the LEDS Global Partnership, regional platforms have been established for Asia, Africa and Latin America. In 2016, the U.S. Agency for International Development launched the Europe and Eurasia Platform (LEDS EEP), which focuses on Eastern Europe, including EU member states, countries of the Energy Community and the countries of the Caspian and Black Seas.
The goal of the LEDS EEP is to connect decision makers, stakeholders and experts in the task of achieving development goals while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and addressing the impacts of climate change. The platform will increase capacity for LEDS by encouraging the sharing of expertise and experience and making available resources and guidance for policy makers and practitioners.
The key tasks of the LEDS EEP will be to:
- create a regional knowledge management and communication platform to encourage the sharing of expertise and experience;
- coordinate resources and connect to other platforms for training and technical assistance;
- strengthen leadership and coordination to help governments identify and implement LEDS;
- direct expertise and support from around the world to governments working on LEDS; and
- create opportunities for dialogue on LEDS among governments, businesses and communities.
As secretariat of the LEDS EEP, the REC will contribute by:
- coordinating capacity-building, awareness-raising and networking activities, including learning, technical assistance;
- coordinating communications activities, including the development and management of the LEDS EEP website and online platform;
- supporting the development of a marketing plan and outreach documents, and leading the outreach campaign;
- organising regional meetings as well as steering committee meetings and annual forums;
- supporting the establishment and operation of working groups; and
- coordinating with the other LEDS regional platforms.
- Information dissemination
- Even organisation
- Capacity building
- Awareness raising