Source of funding
Name of client/donor
Embassy of Japan in Hungary
Overall project value
May 2016 – March 2017
Number of staff
In 2015, in the course of initial meetings with stakeholders in the project “Local Environmental and Energy-Related Action Plans” (LEAPs), a need was identified for environmental and energy-related awareness, education and training. Mayors from various cities in Ukraine voiced their interest in guidelines and tools that would help them to communicate the importance of environmental and energy-related awareness to their citizens. This project, financed by the Government of Japan, addressed this request from municipalities. It also contributed to the sustainable development of the municipalities of Cherkasy, Ivano-Frankivsk and Poltava, where positive links were established between the local government and civil society.
The project aimed to:
- develop a public environmental and energy-related training strategy in three local municipalities in Ukraine (Cherkasy, Ivano-Frankivsk and Poltava);
- provide a toolkit to help municipalities to educate their citizens on environmental and energy-related issues and to ensure collective responsibility and build partnerships for tackling environmental problems; and
- organise a national workshop for staff and councilors from local municipalities on how to educate their citizens, presenting local good practices.
The broad field of environmental and energy-related awareness, education and training involves many different institutions and stakeholders at national and local level in Ukraine, and activities to date have been scattered and uncoordinated. The project aimed to promote an attitude of collective environmental responsibility and energy efficiency by means of environmental education and awareness activities, and to support environmental education that enhances understanding and appreciation of the environment and the opportunities that it creates, while promoting a sense of collective responsibility for the environment among all citizens.
- Developing public environmental and energy-related training strategies, comprising an analysis of the current situation and the identification of the main problems and gaps in order to help local municipalities to involve, educate and train the public about environmental responsibility and energy efficiency.
- Developing a toolkit in the Ukrainian language to help municipalities to educate their citizens on environmental and energy-related questions. The needs of the beneficiary municipalities, as described in the strategy, will shape the contents of the toolkit.
- Organising a national workshop dedicated to sharing positive international and national experiences on public education, and to train participants (local decision makers, representatives from local authorities, practitioners and experts) on using the educational tools developed.
- Disseminating information and project findings.
- Information dissemination
- Awareness raising
- Event organisation