Reference number: 2018/09
Application deadline: April 20, 2018
REC office: REC Head Office
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
The REC’s Smart Cities and Sustainable Mobility team is seeking expert assistance in the implementation of CIVITAS SATELLITE (Support Action Towards Evaluation, Learning, Local Innovation, Transfer and Excellence), the current support action to the EC’s CIVITAS Initiative that runs until December 2020.
The assignment includes organising the annual CIVITAS Forum conference and prestigious awards ceremony; hosting the CIVITAS Secretariat, including outreach to cities that are potential members of the Forum Network; supporting the administration of grants to national/regional CIVITAS networks (so-called CIVINETs); organising an e-course on a sustainable mobility topic; and moderating the CIVITAS thematic group on public involvement. More information on the CIVITAS Initiative is available at: civitas.eu. The expert will also contribute to the REC’s sustainable commuting initiative and any other EC-financed initiatives as deemed necessary (e.g. the EUROPEANMOBILITYWEEK campaign and fundraising for new projects.
Specific responsibilities connected to the CIVITAS SATELLITE project
- In collaboration with the team leader and CIVITAS SATELLITE consortium, organising the annual CIVITAS Forum conference, which involves selecting and scheduling technical sustainable urban mobility solutions, innovations and best practices for an audience of over 400 participants as well as the following side events: the CIVITAS politicians’ forum, the Political Advisory Committee meeting, exhibition and sponsorship, and the CIVITAS Award series (abstracting applications, organising an inspiring ceremony, appraising the success of the award series etc.).
- Preparing a summary report of each Forum; coordinating the call for future Forum conference hosts.
- Hosting the CIVITAS Forum Network Secretariat, which acts as the central coordination hub of the 300-strong city initiative detailed at www.civitas.eu. Tasks include responding to, referring and tracking enquiries; appraising and implementing the CIVITAS Network Expansion Strategy (target: 400); engaging potential new members; writing news articles and social media communications (e.g. preparing infographics); maintaining the network directory; and periodic reporting.
- Supporting the administration of a fund worth EUR 250,000, including activity grants offered to new and existing national CIVITAS networks, and their subsequent monitoring and reporting.
- Developing and moderating a four-week part-time capacity-building e-course and webinar series, engaging speakers/trainers and preparing course documentation.
- Moderating the virtual/online CIVITAS thematic group on public involvement.
- Representing the CIVITAS Initiative at third-party events by hosting the CIVITAS exhibition stand, answering visitors’ enquiries, giving short presentations etc.
- At least three to five years’ experience in sustainable urban mobility projects, including Horizon 2020.
- Knowledge and experience in the field of sustainable urban mobility and related policy challenges, up-to-date practice and research, and funding schemes.
- Excellent knowledge and task management skills, particularly with regard to event organisation and community administration, and an understanding of the implications of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation.
- Experience in using engagement mechanisms, tools and methods for the successful realisation of sustainable urban mobility projects.
- An ability to verbalise and document knowledge and practice from urban authorities and different stakeholders, put forward good practices, and produce clear and concise reports targeting practitioners and policy makers.
- Excellent written and spoken English. A working knowledge of a Central European language is an asset.
- An ability to work in a multicultural environment and be a team player.
- Readiness to travel and be a keen advocate of active modes of mobility.
- A university degree in a relevant field connected to sustainable urban mobility, smart cities, environmental science or knowledge management.
Terms of employment
This full-time position is based at the REC’s head office in Szentendre, Hungary. The position is for a fixed period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension.
Candidates should send a detailed CV and a motivation letter in English (only English-language applications will be considered) outlining their interest in the position and their qualifications by April 20, 2018, to:
Human Resources Department
Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe
H-2000, Szentendre, Ady Endre ut 9-11
Please include the position reference number in the email subject line.
Note: Given the large number of applications that we usually receive for each position, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
The REC is committed to ensuring equal opportunity in all aspects of employment regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, marital status, political affiliation, religious background, sexual orientation, age, disability, professional affiliation or any other circumstances having no direct connection with employment in the organisation.