Reference number: 2016/3
Application deadline: February 19, 2016
Organisation: The Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe
The REC is currently looking for a junior professional to support the activities of the REC in the Visegrad region, and particularly in the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. This internship will provide an opportunity to gain insight into the activities of an influential international organisation whose mission is to assist in addressing environmental issues in Central and Eastern Europe. The intern will be based at the REC’s head office in Szentendre, Hungary.
The Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe provides assistance in addressing environmental challenges by promoting cooperation among key environmental stakeholders, including governments, non-governmental organisations and businesses. Established in 1990 by the United States of America, Hungary and the European Commission, the REC is an international organisation, which, with its independent, non-partisan, non-advocacy, non-profit status, has become a model for open, efficient and accountable international cooperation. For more than 25 years the REC has maintained multi-stakeholder platforms and offered technical assistance to the countries of the region for fostering sustainable development, thereby contributing to the improvement of the environment, social cohesion, stability and well-being. The geographical focus of the REC’s operations is Central and Eastern Europe, South Eastern Europe and Turkey, and the countries of the EU’s Eastern Partnership and Southern Neighbourhood through its regional office network and its head office in Szentendre, not far from the Hungarian capital, Budapest.
Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day support and assistance in the implementation of REC projects in the areas of good environmental governance, green economy, low-emission development, smart cities and mobility, and natural resource management. This will include event organisation, administration, research and analysis.
- Communication (in Czech, Slovak and English) related to REC operations and project implementation. This will include outreach activities, the drafting of letters, reports, articles, press releases, newspaper articles and website updates, and support in drafting online content.
- Mobilising resources and identifying new opportunities for the REC’s engagement in the Czech Republic, the Slovak Republic and the Visegrad region; keeping the REC abreast of new, promising opportunities; and liaising with project staff responsible for the preparation of project proposals and concept notes.
- Basic administrative and other duties, as and when necessary.
- The intern will be paid a monthly stipend in line with the REC’s internal policies.
- The REC will provide the intern with a workstation suitable for the performance of his/her tasks.
- The REC will provide the necessary guidance and supervision in order to ensure a mutually beneficial learning and working process.
Work experience, knowledge and skill level required
The intern must be:
- interested in being involved in the activities of an international environmental organisation;
- in possession of strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills;
- knowledgeable about initiatives, stakeholders and the environmental sector in the region of Central and Eastern Europe, whereas relevant work experience would be an advantage;
- highly motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented and organised;
- a native speaker of either Czech or Slovak, and proficient in the other;
- proficient in English;
- able to keep to deadlines and handle multiple tasks to a high standard; and
- able to work independently and be a team player, depending on requirements.
- A university degree in a relevant area of expertise in environmental sciences, environmental management, economics, social science or political science.
This full-time internship is based at the REC’s Head Office in Szentendre, Hungary. The internship is for a fixed period of 12 months, with a possibility of employment as a junior expert during or after the internship pending satisfactory performance.
Candidates should send a detailed CV and a motivation letter in English (only English-language applications will be considered) outlining their interest in the position and their personal qualifications to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is February 19, 2016.
Candidates should send a detailed CV and a motivation letter in English (only English-language applications will be considered) outlining their interest in the position and their qualifications by by February 19, 2016, to:
Human Resources Department
Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe
2000 Szentendre, Ady Endre ut 9-11
Fax: +36 26 311 294;
Email: recruitment at rec.org
Please include the position reference number in your application. If applying by email, please indicate the position reference number in the subject line.
Note: Given the large number of applications that we usually receive for each position, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.