Reference number: 2018/15
Application deadline: September 23, 2018
The Director of REC Office in Kosovo* is responsible for the overall management of the office in accordance with high ethical standards, local regulations and REC’s internal policies and procedures. The director is also responsible for providing support to REC’s fundraising and resource mobilization activities in Kosovo*. The director reports to the executive director of REC.
- Taking overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and direction of the office in order to achieve the organisation’s vision, mission and objectives.
- Managing REC Office Kosovo*, including the legal and financial management of the office and its staff, in accordance with local legislation and REC’s internal policies.
- Providing advisory services and/or direct support to the executive director of REC.
- Ensuring the financial sustainability of REC Office Kosovo* through project development and fundraising at national and international level; by establishing and maintaining good donor relations; and by developing initiatives for REC’s services on the environmental market in Kosovo*.
- Providing support to REC’s overall fundraising activities, by securing new projects for REC Office Kosovo*, offices in neighbouring countries and the international REC network. The office director is encouraged to seek out regional as well as national opportunities, and may be tasked with coordinating regional initiatives.
- Providing advice to REC’s head office for environmental programme development in South Eastern Europe (SEE).
- Representing the interests of REC Office Kosovo* at national level, particularly in legal terms, and in close cooperation with REC’s head office.
- Ensuring visibility for REC Office Kosovo* at national and, whenever appropriate, regional and international level.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with local organisations and networks.
- Ensuring compliance with local legislation, REC’s policies and procedures, and donor regulations.
- Maintaining relations with environmental stakeholders such as governmental institutions, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), local authorities and the business community.
- Positioning REC Office Kosovo* in such a way as to increase participation in projects launched in Kosovo* and SEE countries.
- Managing projects, including activities related to implementation, quality assurance, risk management, supervision and evaluation.
- At least five years’ experience in a senior management position is essential, including direct staff supervision and business development.
- At least five years’ experience in financial management, including budget management and overseeing financial procedures.
- At least five years’ experience in recruiting and managing staff, including the writing of job descriptions and performance monitoring.
- More than 10 years’ work experience in the field of environment and sustainable development.
- More than five years’ experience in the development and management of all aspects of complex environment-related donor-funded projects, from project inception to project closure.
- Extensive experience in staff mentoring, supervision, on-the-job-training and coaching.
- Extensive experience in writing terms of reference, and in the selection, recruitment and management of junior and senior experts.
- Established experience in project cycle management, excellent project management/ organisational skills, and experience with national and local authorities. Recognised project management training or qualifications (e.g. PMBoK, PRINCE2) are an advantage.
- Excellent understanding of donor procedures and rules applicable to funding received from large institutional donors.
- Extensive experience in the coordination of project teams and experts, including the coordination and preparation of project inception and interim narrative and financial reports to PSC and EU contracting authorities.
- Experience in project management/backstopping of at least one project with a value of over EUR 1 million will be a strong asset.
- Proven knowledge of the Practical Guide (PRAG) contracting procedures applying to all EU external actions financed from the EU general budget and the European Development Fund (EDF).
- Excellent knowledge of EU external aid programme regulations, such as the DCI, ENI, IPA II, or EIDHR for actions financed from the EU budget.
- Proven knowledge of the management of project deliverables in line with the project plan, including financial and technical reporting.
- Proven understanding of international development cooperation principles and quality standards.
- Experience with national and international tendering procedures, both as a lead partner and as a consortium member.
- Extensive experience in project planning, development, management, monitoring and evaluation in Kosovo* and the region.
- Sound experience in the establishment of networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in the country, and in fundraising.
- Experience in organising promotional and high-level events, meetings at political and technical level, conferences and public-awareness campaigns.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills with a wide spectrum of environmental stakeholders.
- Work experience in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to effectively coordinate a multi-disciplinary team of experts and consultants.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly within strict timeframes and to high standards.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Albanian. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- Modern office management skills, including computer literacy.
- Availability to travel regularly within the territory of REC’s beneficiary countries.
- Availability to start employment in early October 2018 is an advantage.
- Exceptionally good analytical, appraisal and planning skills; excellent management skills; as well as facilitation, communication, drafting and reporting skills.
- A university degree in a relevant area of expertise, preferably natural or environmental sciences, environmental management, economics or socio-political science.
- An educational background in formal management and/or business administration is a distinct asset.
- A qualification in project management or equivalent is a distinct asset.
Terms of employment
This full-time position is based at REC’s office in Pristina, Kosovo*. The position is for a fixed period of one year, with a possibility of extension.
Candidates should send a detailed CV and a motivation letter in English (only applications written in English will be considered) outlining their interest in the position and their personal qualifications to email@example.com.
The application deadline is September 23, 2018.
Please indicate the position reference number in the subject line: 2018/15
*This designation is without prejudice to position on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Note: Given the large number of applications that we usually receive for each position, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
The REC is committed to ensuring equal opportunity in all aspects of employment regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, marital status, political affiliation, religious background, sexual orientation, age, disability, professional affiliation or any other circumstances having no direct connection with employment in the organisation.