Zmaja od Bosne 47A/I, 71000 Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Phone: +387 33 713 110; 713 111
Fax: +387 33 713 130
REC Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) was established in March 1997 with the main goal of providing support to environmental protection, conservation and improvement. Since its establishment, REC BiH has promoted dialogue among the various stakeholders involved in the environmental field (including governments, non-governmental organisations, scientific and research institutions, the business sector and the media). Activities are implemented in both entities of BiH (the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Republika Srpska), and also in Brcko District.
REC BiH operates as an international organisation, based on the Charter on Diplomatic Status signed by the REC and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina in December 1999.
REC BiH participates in assessing the current environmental needs of the country and offers professional support and assistance to environmental protection activities. It supports the international exchange of data relevant to environmental protection and nature conservation; promotes dialogue between countries, organisations and sectors of society; and broadens the environmental awareness of society and the expertise of professionals and decision makers.
Strengthening institutions for sustainable development
- Local initiatives
- Local development planning
- Law enforcement and compliance
Capacity building of stakeholders and assisting partnerships
- Courses for sustainable development
- Civil society support (through strengthening capacities, education, trainings and grant awards)
- Strengthening capacities of relevant institutions for implementation of the Aarhus Convention, the PRTR Protocol and related EU directives
Sustainable management and use of natural resources
- Biodiversity, nature protection, agriculture and rural development
- Water management
Integration of environmental concerns into relevant sectors (such as energy, transport and health)
- Environmental assessment
- Climate change
- Health and environment
- Waste management
- Awareness-raising campaigns in the field of environmental protection
- Enforcement and implementation of educational programmes in schools