REC makes key contributions at Meeting of the Parties to the Aarhus Convention .
The Regional Environmental Center (REC) has supported capacity-building efforts for implementation of the Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making, and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters (Aarhus Convention) and the Protocol on Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers (Protocol on PRTRs) since their adoption. To further these efforts, a team of REC experts and senior management personnel are in Budva, Montenegro, to participate in the sixth session of the Meeting of the Parties to the Aarhus Convention (September 11-13), as well as the third session of the Meeting of the Parties to the Protocol on PRTRs (September 15).
REC Executive Director Mihail Dimovski will be a panellist at the joint High-level Segment on September 14, which will focus on how the Aarhus Convention and/or the Protocol on PRTRs can be used to support the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). He will share the panel with other high-level speakers, including: Mykola Kuzio, Deputy Ministry for European Integration, Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources Ukraine; and Per Angquist, State Secretary of the Ministry of the Environment and Energy, Sweden.
During the meetings, the REC is organising or contributing to several important side events and parallel trainings, including:
- September 12 side event: “Access to Justice, Access for All” featured the outcomes of three Aarhus Convention-related projects in countries of the Western Balkans and Moldova. The event included interactive discussion on good practices for overcoming barriers to access to justice.
- September 14 side event: “Aarhus Convention Principles at the Global Level” is co-organised by the European Environmental Bureau and the Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land and Sea.
- September 14 side event: “The Role of the Judiciary in the Promotion of the Rule of Law in Environmental Matters and the Protection of Environmental Procedural Rights”.
- September 15 side event: “Support for the Establishment and Advancement of PRTRs in Western Balkan Countries and in Moldova”.
- September 14-15 workshop: Parallel to the meeting of the Parties of the PRTR Protocol, the REC will offer a workshop to enhance the capacity of judiciary professionals and legal professionals from Serbia, Montenegro, and Bosnia and Herzegovina on the topic of access to justice.
For more related information, please visit: http://aarhus.rec.org