The project “Introducing the UN Sustainable Development Goals in Schools in South Eastern Europe" (SEEDLING) held its first steering committee meeting on December 7, 2016, followed by the project’s first regional conference on December 8–9, 2016. Both events took place in Belgrade, Serbia.
During the steering committee meeting, SEEDLING focal points from ministries of education from the beneficiary countries expressed strong support and satisfaction with the project results so far. They all stressed the value of the project in carrying out ongoing educational reforms in the countries, and are looking forward to the implementation of the new ESD tool for secondary education.
The First SEEDLING Regional Conference brought together more than 50 experts, educators and teachers for an open dialogue on the development of education for sustainable development and the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The specific objectives of the conference were to:
- provide a capacity-building session on the SDGs, the SDG process and interrelation between goals, and individual roles within the "Transforming Our World" process;
- showcase the latest educational reforms in each participating country;
- facilitate stakeholder networking and the sharing of experiences to promote further cooperation;
- stimulate and provoke critical discussion on the tool to be developed; and
- promote education for sustainable development.
For more information, please contact:
Sustainable Development and Education
Note: The SEEDLING project is implemented by the Regional Environmental Center (REC) and financed by the Austrian Development Agency (ADA). The total project amount is EUR 1.534 million. Of this amount, ADA is contributing EUR 1.4 million in funding, while the remainder is a contribution from the REC.