Within this area of expertise, the REC supports the implementation of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Paris Agreement. It contributes to regional, national and sub-national efforts to develop and implement low-emission development strategies and to build resilience to climate change.
The REC provides good-quality data for decision makers; promotes dialogue and international cooperation among different stakeholder groups; disseminates low-carbon development knowledge; builds the capacities of national and sub-national stakeholders; and facilitates active public participation in policy making.
The REC aims to build the knowledge and capacities of national and sub-national stakeholders in the region, enabling them to address climate change and sustainable energy challenges.
The REC team strives to:
- provide good-quality data for evidence-based decision making;
- design and implement efficient and effective capacity-building and knowledge-sharing initiatives;
- support the development and implementation of cost-efficient low-emission development strategies in various sectors of the economy;
- support the development and implementation of adaptation activities and build resilience to climate change;
- contribute to international climate policy making via the UNFCCC Action for Climate Empowerment; and
- promote regional and international cooperation in addressing climate change mitigation and adaptation challenges.
The REC builds the knowledge and capacities of regional stakeholders by:
- assessing capacity-building needs and developing training programmes;
- carrying out in-depth assessments of topics such as mitigation potential, the benefits and costs of policies and measures, and vulnerabilities to climate change;
- implementing pilot and demonstration projects;
- implementing effective capacity-building and knowledge-sharing programmes;
- building networks of experts, public authorities, academics, NGOs and other stakeholders;
- organising workshops, conferences, webinars and study tours;
- supporting stakeholder involvement and public participation in decision making; and
- designing and developing dedicated websites and using social media for public outreach.